GEF 44th Council Meeting
Summary report of GEF-NGO Network Activity and Achievement – 44th GEF Council Meeting 15 -20 June 2013
The 44th GEF Council Meeting was held in Washington DC from 18 – 20 June 2013. This meeting was important as a number of key decisions were made including welcoming Government of Mexico’s proposal to host the next GEF Assembly, approving a work program totaling $369.82 million, expanding the roster of GEF Partner Agencies, and approving initial funding for the new Minamata Convention on Mercury.
GEF-NGO Network organized a range of meetings in Washington DC in association with the 44th GEF Council as follows:
15 June - Meeting of GEF-NGO Network Coordination Committee (CC)
The CC meeting was attended by twelve out of the sixteen currently elected Regional focal points and one Indigenous Peoples Focal Points. The meeting discussed a range of matters including the status and development of network membership, strengthening the operation of the Network, and preparation for GEF-CSO consultation and the GEF Council meetings. Among the important results were:
- Agreeing on measures to enhancing CSO engagement in ECW meetings.
- Refining the proposed work on review of the GEF Public Involvement Policy (PIP)- with consultations at country level; at regional level and at global level
- Fine tuning the proposal on cross cutting capacity building with combination of country and regional activities;
- Agreement to strengthen linkages with the GEF SGP on the review of the PIP and collaboration in the implementation of the cross cutting capacity building project.
16 June - Preparatory meeting for the GEF-CSO consultation
This meeting was attended by 41 representatives from CSOs and the meeting discussed and reviewed some of the key issues on the agenda of the 44th GEF Council meeting, namely,
- Preparing the GEF to serve as the Financial Mechanism of the Minamata Convention on Mercury upon entry into force
- GEF Work Program
- Pilot accreditation of GEF Project Agencies
- GEF-6 Replenishment
- Fifth Overall Performance Study and Management Response
The meeting also discussed GEF NGO Network matters including membership development, network operation and the development of an MSP for civil society capacity development. Breakout groups discussed the up-scaling of CSO engagement at country level, best practices from international NGOs and experience of Public Involvement Programme at regional levels.
17 June - GEF Council-CSO Consultation
This meeting was attended by more than 100 representatives from civil society, GEF Council members GEF Agencies and the GEF Secretariat. The meeting included a one hour dialogue between civil society and the GEF CEO and two panel sessions to discuss the status and progress of the work for the GEF6 and the vision and long term strategy for GEF2020 Strategy. The meeting, especially the afternoon panel was very interactive with active inputs from Council members, GEF agencies as well as CSOs. A report of the meeting is given here. Photographs of the event are given here.
18 – 20 June – 44th GEF Council Meeting
More than 25 CSO representatives observed the GEF Council sessions by rotation and nine formal network position papers/statements were presented to the council on the agenda items as follows :
1. Annual Monitoring Review FY2012
2. First report of OPS5
3. Update on GEF 2020
4. Update on the GEF-6 Replenishment
5. Pilot accreditation of GEF Project Agencies
6. Considering the GEF being the Financial Mechanism for the Mercury Convention
7. Organisation of the Fifth Assembly of the Global Environment Facility (GEF)
8. Work Programme
9. LDCF/SCCF Work Program
The Council approved the work programme, which amounts to US$369.82 million. On the accreditation of new project agencies, Conservation International and World Wildlife Fund have been cleared by the independent GEF accreditation panel to move to the final stage of the process where, after signing legal documents with the GEF, they will be eligible to access GEF funds for environmental projects. The LDCF/SCCF Funds received pledges, amounting to US$129 million for the LDCF and US$69.2 million for the SCCF.
You can view the joint summary and the highlights of the Council’s Discussions.
The next GEF Council and Consultation meetings will be held as follows:
- GEF CSO Preparation Meeting, 2-3 Nov 2013
- GEF Council CSO Consultation, 4 Nov 2013
- GEF Council Meeting, 5-7 Nov 2013